20 October 2013

Go slow

My first morning in Bermuda started out niiiice and slow just like I wanted it to. I slept on what must be the world's most comfortable futon and woke up at about 11am (10am EST, Bermuda is one hour ahead of Atlanta). Rhonda had been up for hours cooking, grading papers, and cleaning.  Women, we work hard all over the world!!!  We keep households going, kids on track, and husbands happy.  The way we do this varies from culture to culture, country to country, language to language, but ultimately it's the same act of love, strength, and ingenuity.  We truly are powerful creatures.  After eating a quick breakfast I helped my girl grade papers while she got her weekly lesson plans out of the way,  I was so happy to be able to help.  We bounced teaching strategies off of each other, shared successful assignments and tips, and laughed at the crazy things our students say and do.  It was a peaceful productive morning.  At about 1 we decided to hit the road to sightsee.  We walked to the closest bus stop and found a wild "cherry" tree bush on the way and couldn't resist stopping to eat a bunch.  Now these were not "cherries" like what I buy from my neighborhood supermarket in Atlanta.  I believe they are referred to as Suriname Cherries and they look like teeny tiny tomatoes, their taste however is indescribable.  They are almost nasty then something sweet and delicious kicks in making you want to eat one more.  Then you eat one more and want one more again.  Rhonda says her daughter gets caught at the bush everyday on her walk home from the bus stop and she eats cherry after cherry just as we were.  After getting a majority of the reddest cherries within our reach we moved on to the bus stop.  The roads here are winding and only one lane in each directing offering very little room for where a sidewalk would be.  Mini cars and mopeds zoom by like busy bees and create a really busy little vibe on the island.  Bermudians are only allowed one car per household and there are no car rental allowed here.  You can rent a moped but they have proven to be deadly killing many tourist in accidents.  Luckily Bermuda has a well planned efficient public bus transportation system.  Once we got on our bus it was a great opportunity for me to see and soak in my surroundings on our way to St George's historic district while not having to worry about driving.  Like in my recent visit to Japan the bus driver sits at the right side steering wheel, and cars drive on the left side of the road.  In typical British style there are also plenty of road abouts.  The bus was so efficient that we even got a transfer to switch buses at the end of our route.  I took that as a photo op chance. Most, but not all, of the bus stops are in stone structures to protect passengers from the elements.  
We took our next bus to the end of route/ bus terminal and becided to walk down hill into the historic district.  On that route, which was also new to Rhonda we saw a split shady high/ low road that we decided to follow.  We followed the path passing people here and there until we came to a hill that overlooked an amazing beach.   It was almost as pretty as some of the beaches we used to see while living in Virgin Gorda in the BVI... Almost! While oohing and ahhing over the beach Rhonda recognized the jeep parked in the drive way of the closest home to us and knocked on the door.  The home belonged to one of her coworkers who also rents out rooms in her house to tourist.  Her lovely friend invited is in for a cold lemonade and we chatted for a while.  We discussed the economy, teacher furloughs, and must see places in Bermuda.  I later got a tour of her rental apartments and rooms and promised her that I will definately share her info with my traveler friends.  Her apartments were lovely, great price, and right there at that amazing beach!  
One the way to town we also stopped at "the unfinished church" site and the old city square.  The unfinished church was a   Church that they started constructing in the 1800 and construction had to be stop repeatedly for different catastrophes; hurricanes, fires, lack of funds, and structural errors.  Finally it was decided that this place was not meant to be finished and it was gated closed as a historic site.  The old city hall still displayed old slave torture devices and are still used in weekly reenactments.  
For lunch we had sweet and sour lobster with pineapple, that was to die for!  We hopped on our bus and took a tour of the rest of the island, by now the bus was packed.  Happy people would step on board and shout out "good afternoon everyone!!"  All would reply "good afternoon!" then return to their busy happy chatter.  The Bermudian accent is extremely contagious.  It's very British with a hint of American and a dash of Caribbean.  I've been here less than 24 hours and catch myself saying "hell-oh" and "no-oh" just like a Bermudian!  This always makes me laugh.
Once we got back to our side of town we visited neighbors and I was served a delicious mix of Black Bermudian Rum and Ginger Beer.  I immediately named this mix "trouble".  It taste great enough for you not to take cautious with its strength.  I finished that drink in no time. For those of you who know me know that I'm a lightweight when it comes to alcohol and that right there is double trouble.  Luckily we were at the neighbors long enough for the alcohol to wear off a little and most importantly for me to NOT embarrass myself.  
While there Rhonda's husband returned home from an oversees trip and the 3 of us spent time catching up and hearing about his trip.  
Later on I happily returned to my favorite futon to update the blog, IG account, and FB pages.  I spent the night dreaminbif how I can make this whole travel thing a second career.  Like an Anthony Bourdain or Andrew Zimmern but not eating so much,  I gotta keep these and, babe!  But just traveling to meet the amazing people of the world and learning about their culture, language, art, point of view, music, and dance... And of course a little bit of food through these amazing people.  Hmmmm...  I'm putting it out there... I'll let you know when CNN or The Travel Channel call!  Ha!
























No comments:

Post a Comment